Shiatsu is a form of massage originating from Japan that is translated as “finger pressure” and uses thumbs and fingers much like acupuncture to stimulate the body’s own natural healing abilities. Through a dynamic system of diagnosis similar to that of Ancient Oriental Medicine and the application of pressure to specific areas of the body; Shiatsu massage promotes health and well-being. Shiatsu treatments are dynamic and treat each client in an individual way. A Shiatsu treatment will address the whole body as a means of engaging the physical body’s overall constitution. Shiatsu is a therapy and therefore it is useful for maintaining the health of an individual but not useful for acute medical conditions.
Shiatsu calms an overactive sympathetic nervous system, improves circulation, relieve stiff muscles and alleviate stress.
What can I expect from Shiatsu treatments? On a physical level you may experience:
- deep relaxation and stress reduction
- reduced pain and swelling during the recovery of an injury
- relief from stiffness and muscle tension
- improved flexibility and range of motion
- improved circulation of blood
- more energy and vitality in everyday activities
On a mental or emotional level you may feel:
- relief of anxiety and nervous tension
- increased mind-body connection
- awareness of personal health and overall well being
- a state of calm with the ability to think clearly
- an overall enhanced mood, peace of mind and sense of freedom